Communication plays a vital role in performance at work. To connect, to get details, to work-out useful solutions and to build a cohesive workforce, communication becomes the catalyst.
More than the means of communication, the choice of words become a critical part of forming the meaning. The messenger of the value. Some ticks to improve the effectiveness of communication and be on top of your performance include the following:
- Build and use a simple, unambiguous vocabulary. It helps to connect quickly. It helps in getting the other person to start thinking and acting swiftly. If you have to use complex words, do explain. Don’t let the other person make their own meanings.
- Use big thinker’s vocabulary. Use big, bright and cheerful words. Use words that invoke hope, happiness, and pleasure. Avoid words that create unpleasant images of failure, defeat, and grief.
- Don’t trivialize important things. At the same time, don’t focus on trivial things. Focus your attention on the core, big objectives. Everyone’s time and energy are precious.
- Every opportunity for communication is the best time for adding value – to things, to people and yourself. Keep the focus on value addition, always. Even when you are escalating an issue, reporting status or seeking help.
- Beware of the self-deprecating style of communication. You might end-up selling-short and limit your effectiveness. You’re better than you think you are.
be a #dreamerdoer